The Field-ready Headphone Amp You Need!
When you need a quality headphone amp that can keep up with your mobile rig, Sweetwater Sales Engineers are happy to recommend the Sound Devices HX-3. This 3-channel headphone amp provides you with the convenience of independent level controls for each headphone output and a variety of inputs, including XLR, 1/4″, and 1/8″ option. There’s also loop I/O for daisy chaining multiple HX-3s together. What’s more, the HX-3 headphone amplifier can run for up to 18 hours on just a pair of AA batteries, and a chassis-isolated 5-18V DC input accommodates all kinds of external battery power options.
Sound Devices HX-3 Headphone Distribution Amplifier Features:
- A 3-channel headphone amplifier that easily incorporates into your portable sound rig
- Professional-grade circuitry offers 125dB dynamic range with flat frequency response
- Each of the 3 outputs includes an independent volume control
- Globally switchable between stereo and mono monitoring
- All-metal, chassis-mounted connectors include balanced XLR inputs
- Loop I/O makes it easy to daisy-chain additional headphone amps
- Can run up to 18 hours on 2 x AA and includes input for 5-18VDC battery
- Housed in a high-strength, extruded aluminum chassis with protective metal end panels
10 Hz – 50 kHz, -±1.0 dB, any input to any output, gain controls set to 50%
34 dB from balanced line to headphone output, 35 dB from headphone input to headphone output
|Output Clipping Level||
+18 dBu minimum with 600 ohm load, +16 dBu minimum with 300 ohm load
|Headphone Output Impedance||
|Input Clipping Level||
XLR: +24 dBu minimum
|Dynamic Range (balanced line inputs)||
120 dB minimum
|THD + Noise||
0.03% maximum (from 10 Hz to 22 kHz @ +10 dBu input and output level, 300 ohm load, 10 Hz – 22 kHz filter bandwidth)
XLR: electronically balanced, 22k ohm input impedance, 1/4-inch unbalanced: 9.1k ohm impedance
|Internal Voltage Rails||
±15 V, regulated
Internal: 2 AA alkaline batteries, 18 hours life typical with nominal levels. External: 5 – 17 VDC via threaded coaxial connector (5.5 mm outer diameter, 2.1 mm inner diameter), pin positive, sleeve negative.
Green indicates power and good battery. Red indicates power with low batteries. LED turns red when ~ 4 hours of battery life remain.
|Operating Temperature Range||
0 to 70 degrees C
43 mm x 94 mm x 140 mm (h x w x d) (1.7" x 3.7" x 5.5")
|Weight (unit only)||
1/4-inch to 1/8-inch trs interconnect cable, rubber feet (4), locking DC jack